8.18.2010

a little play...

Looking back on the past year I saw I needed to sharpen up on my draftsmanship and painting. I hava a large collection of my Grandfathers B&W photos from all over the world and this is from one of them, (of course, I added a few things....). I did this to brush up and have some fun with graphite watercolor and acrylic on bristol (7.5 x 11"). I have a few more in progress, and I feel like I'm getting closer to that something.... Thanks for sticking around on this journey :) Another poster coming soon!

...and now a closing and very important quote from Jillian Tamaki that I spotted on her blog:

"Making “art” (in the loosest, purest sense of word) for a living is tough. I see students, often in the 2nd semester of 4th year, come to a sinking realization that Illustration is sometimes not fun at all.It’s work. Work that is sometimes boring, frustrating, by-committee, and maddeningly collaborative. Some people are great at viewing illustration as just a profession, a job, filling a need, rendering a service. No problem with that at all. Part of me views it that way too (it’s part of “being a professional”). But I do sincerely believe that without personal work and comics, I might go nuts. For the most part, there is little Sense of Play in commercial illustration (there are a few glorious exceptions to this rule). And the Sense of Play is really what nourishes creativity and, ultimately, good work (paid or otherwise). Sometimes, I think, it’s actually more important than rigorous practice." link to post

4 comments:

Edward Kinsella III said...

That blue dress texture is rockin!

margaux said...

I love it Will, really a lot of personality in this piece. Thanks for the quote, too.

EL Gato Negro said...

haha creeepy cool man I digg it :D

Ally Hodges said...

The dress looks very delicate! Definitely awesome, and that's a good quote to remember.